One of the Girls

One of the Girls

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Toddler Logic...

So I had my first post yesterday... I was pleased but honestly thought to myself, "You just aren't going to have good 'material' everyday, so don't stress yourself about daily blogging.." but of course in the back of my mind I'm thinking of things.

A little while ago Lauren brought some books to me to read. I try to practice something one of my friends said to me one time, "Never say no when your child brings you a book..." It's frustrating sometimes because it will be the most inconvenient times, but then I stop and think, "Lauren wants to read a book...but you want to type an email...there's really not much to ponder is there?" So I stop what I'm doing, snuggle up with my child, and read. Of course the initial reading is just a trick...it'll be 1-2 books, but then she's got you..."OK, you stay right here...don't move...I'll be RIGHT BACK..." and she scurries off to find about 12 more books to plop in my lap...and it goes on like this until I've read about 25 books and say, "THIS is the last one..." So that's what happened this afternoon. I finished the "last one" and moved on to something else. Lauren was being pitiful and somewhat needy so I picked her up and let her sit in my lap while I was on the computer. She just wanted to snuggle (lingering runny nose is the culprit I think) so I picked her up and carry her over to the couch. The TV is off, but the iPod is on playing some cozy music and we're snuggled up on the couch relaxing. I can HEAR her breathing change and can tell she's zoning. I whisper, "You wanna go rockabye a bit?" (meaning snuggle up in her chair in her room - what we do before nap time) She nods and then stops herself and says, "BUT IT'S NOT NAPTIME..." I said, "No, but it might be nice to rest a little..." We get up and walk in her room and I commence "ROOM SHUT DOWN" mode where I turn on the fan, close the blinds and shut the room darkening shades. Lauren says, "Mom, you don't have to make it dark...IT'S NOT NAPTIME" in a confident voice. I say, "It'd be ok if it was dark doncha think?" We get all cozied up in the chair and I swear the child was OUT in 30 seconds. She's snoring and completely limp. I rock a little longer and then attempt to stand up to put her in the bed...

Eyes POP open and out comes, "IT'S NOT NAPTIME." Right, what was I thinking? You were snoring and sound asleep, but of course! Not naptime.

We go back to the chair and rock and I SWEAR she immediately goes back to sleep. I am having flashbacks to her infancy where I would sit there rocking a sleeping baby and think, "How the crap am I going to get this child OUT of my arms and INTO the bed without her knowing?" I slow down my rocking and slooooooooooooooooowly stand up...

Eyes POP open and stare at me..."IT'S NOT NAPTIME."

I begin my attempts at tricking her with language.

M: No, it's not naptime...it's rest time...

L: No, it's NOT rest time.

M: It's sleepy time...? (maybe the inflection in my voice was showing my lack of confidence in this method of trickery)

L: No, it's NOT sleepy time. (and her chin starts to quiver and she's going to cry)

M: (attempting comic relief) It's SNORING time! (and I make obnoxious/silly snoring sounds)

L: (full out crying) Noooooo it's NOT! Mama, can I watch TV for a little bit?

M: ...and THEN you'll take a nap?

L: yes.

Wait a minute...what just happened here? I think I was just tricked by a toddler.

1 comment:

Jen said...

oh my...I swear it sounds like she was just TEASING you! Think she was lying there with her eyes shut thinking, "Heh-heh--watch this."?