One of the Girls

One of the Girls

Friday, December 4, 2009

Conversations in a Car

There's really no back story to this entry, just a normal day with Lauren. She and I were in the car running errands. The following are three separate (yet somehow all strangely linked - you wait, you'll see the connections) conversations we had during our drive.

L: Mom, Mrs. Claus is Santa's Mommy.

M: No, she is his wife.

L: No. Mommy.

M: No Lauren, she is Santa's wife.

L: No MOM, she is his MOMMY.

I proceed to attempt to straighten out all the confusion by making comparisons.

M: Who is Granny?

L: Daddy's Momma.

M: Right! So is Granny Daddy's wife?

L: YES!

M: No! Granny isn't Daddy's wife. MOMMY is Daddy's wife. Am I Daddy's Mommy?

L: Your Daddy...

M: My Daddy what?

L: Your Daddy loves you...

M: *blink* *blink* Yes...yes...he does...

And that was the end of that conversation. It ended just as confusing as it began.

While she and I were at lunch together, we were taking turns telling each other stories. I was telling stories about a silly little boy named Finnegan and all the mischievious things he got into. Her stories seemed to always have monsters and scary things in them. We'll address that in some later post...

After lunch, she wanted to continue with the storytelling. Well, she wanted me to continue with my storytelling. She wanted me to tell a Christmas story. So I thought I would tell THE Christmas story. I'm describing Mary and Joseph and Gabriel and get to the part about the travel to Bethlehem... at this point, Lauren gets very excited and I'm excited because I know she's starting to recognize the story...

L: Bethlehem! That's like that boy...that boy!!!!

M: (I'm beaming. I'm so proud. It is like that boy. That boy Jesus...)

L: That boy...BUFFALO!!!

M: *completely flabbergasted* BUFFALO?

L: Yeah!!! Little Buffalo!!!!

All I could do was laugh. I laughed and I laughed and I laughed...

Third conversation...approximately 10-15 minutes later...as we were walking into the bank...

L: Mom, is Jesus real?

M: *pausing...thinking...* Well...yes...he lived a long time ago...

L: Where is he now?

M: He's in heaven. He's in heaven with God.

L: *nodding and understanding* OH! Jesus is God's wife I guess...

M: *puzzled* Nooo...(here we go again with the mixed up family relations) Jesus is God's son.

L: No...WIFE.

M: No Lauren, his SON.

She gets slightly distracted and announces that Christmas is Jesus' birthday. I'm excited because I think we're back on track. She tells me that Ms. Carrie taught them that at school.

M: Did you tell Ms. Carrie we have a birthday cake on Christmas morning for Jesus' birthday?!

L: Noooo...

M: Yeah! Remember? We have a birthday cake for Jesus and we eat it Christmas morning!

L: Mom. Why do we have cake? Jesus won't BE there. *exasperated*

Ahhhh yes. THESE are the conversations we have. Conversations that provoke deep thought and lots of confusion. Welcome to my world.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh...my...word. What the HECK was that about the buffalo? Did you ever figure that out???? Hilarious!!!

She's going to get REALLY confused when she overhears someone referring to ME as your wife! :-)

Pub Night Productions said...

Your Daddy loves you...precious child.